Saturday, July 5, 2008

Ride Against Parkinson's Disease - Update

I promised and update about how things went at the Chickahominy YMCA for the Ride Against Parkinson's -

It was great!!! It was wonderful!!! Keith and I drove out there with Rielly-Anne. We were a little late leaving home so we missed Carsten's arrival, but the rest of the day made up for it. We were able to meed Carsten, who is a true inspiration, and Cheryl, whom I've emailed several times but was never able to meet until then. Susan from UVA (she is the information and referral person for the APDA) was there, along with several members of the Richmond Chapter APDA and YMCA. We were able to meet other YOPWP as well, which was really important to Keith.

I was worried on the way there that it would be depressing. I was worried that I would break down and cry if I saw someone in bad shape. I was worried that the tone of the entire event would be somewhat desperate and pathetic, for lack of a better word. Boy was I wrong! The entire place and everyone in it was happy and upbeat. Everyone was so happy to be there and meet Carsten and show support for each other. It was not at all what I thought it would be. Keith and I had such a good time. We made some new friends and were able to experience, for the first time ever, a support system of like-minded and similarly diagnosed people. It was wonderful to be in the presence of such a fine group of people!


Here is Carsten, Keith and Rielly-Anne.
Photobucket



Keith and Carsten.
Photobucket

The PD exercise class.
Photobucket





Keith always seems to find fellow car nuts!

Photobucket




Me and Rielly-Anne.

Photobucket



Carsten leaving for D.C.
Photobucket





The only part about the entire event that did not sit well with me was the article in the paper. You can find the article here. There is a beautifully done slide show, and the article itself it well written. The problem I have is that THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID!!!! I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in the reporter. Why she chose to use my interview over someone who actually has PD is beyond me, but the least she could have done was print what I said. What I really said had nothing to do with what is quoted in the article. Keep that in mind when you read it and think "HUH????"

;)

Other than that, Keith and I are looking forward to whatever event is next planned for the Richmond area. We've asked that Cheryl keep us posted. It's not too far a drive for us to go to something we fully support and enjoy so much.

2 comments:

One Life said...

You guys are wonderful. Looks like you had a lot of fun!!

By the way, someone looks a lot like her daddy! :-)

Mary said...

Yes, she does favor her daddy!
LOL!