Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Stem Cell Research

Well, it was bound to happen. I knew it would rear its ugly head sooner or later. And last night it did. Keith asked me "If they found a cure for PD using embryonic stem cells, what would you do, or have ME do?"

Now I must give you a little history. I am very pro-life. I do not believe in abortion, nor do I believe in in-vitro fertilization, therefore, I do not believe in embryonic stem cell research. I believe that life begins at the moment of conception, whether it is in the woman's body or in a test tube. I believe that no one, under any circumstance, has the right to take another human life. As far as stem cell research goes, whether or not these embryos are leftovers from in-vitro or "discarded" from abortion varies depending on who you ask. Some would say it's fine to use leftover in-vitro embryos as they will be discarded anyway. Others say it is okay to use aborted embryos, as they have already been discarded. The argument is that a lot of good can come from the use of these embryos, that lives can ultimately be saved, and isn't that itself pro-life? Well, maybe, in a round about sorta way. But in saying that any good can come from destroying a life only legitimizes it. I can not and will not support any means that can and does legitimize abortion or the destruction of thousands of living, human embryos.

So back to Keith's question. What would I do or expect him to do if they found a cure using embryonic stem cells? I would remove myself as much as possible from the situation, meaning I would not, I COULD not, make that decision. I could never willingly tell Keith to "go get cured." I could never consciously agree to or endorse something I wholeheartedly disagree with. But I do know what Keith would do. He would be the first in line, understandably so. And yes, I would be overjoyed that my husband had been cured. I would be ecstatic at the miracle of another chance to live a "normal" life. I would be forever grateful. But it would be extremely difficult for me to reconcile the two. It would put me a very awkward position - being happy that Keith's disease was cured, but at the same time being really sad about how it happened.

I stand by my husband no matter what. I know what he would choose, and though I do not agree with it, I do support him. It was not easy to look my husband in the eye and tell him that I do not support the research being done that could very likely cure him. But I'd have an even harder time telling God that I support the destruction of the human lives HE created.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Mary. I will add your link to my blog, too. I have posted on this same dilemma, myself. I am very thankful that they are finding ways to use skin cells and turning them into stem cells. Here's my post on this good news.

Mary said...

Thanks dirty butter. It's good to know that there are other options to embryonic stem cells being used. Thanks for sharing the good news!