Friday, May 6, 2011

My Life as the Hummingbird

Some months ago, while updating the blog, I changed the background to a pink silhouette of hummingbirds.  At the time, I didn't really know why I chose that as the new backdrop to the blog, other than the fond memories I had of watching the tiny birds hover above my grandfather's azaleas as a child.  More recently, I have developed a strong bond, or connection, to the hummingbird.  It's symbolism and mythology are especially meaningful to someone well into their journey with PD.

Hummingbirds are only found in the Western Hemisphere, so they are not a part of traditional fairy tales, myths and legends of European and African descent.  However, Native American mythology is rich with stories of the hummingbird.  Due to their ability to go into torpor, a hibernation-like state, and quickly waken again, Native American legends often tell of this tiny bird renewing life, or bearing with them light like the sun.  One belief is that hummingbirds act as messengers between words, helping shamans keep the balance between spirit and nature.  There is a Pima legend that tells of the hummingbird who, like Noah's dove, brings back a flower as proof that the great flood is subsiding; life renews itself in a brighter day, in a better world. 

Symbolically, the hummingbird represents regeneration and resurrection.  She is the creature that opens the heart and allows it to heal.  The hummingbird is the only creature that can stop instantly while travelling at full speed.  She can hover, fly up, down, left and right.  She can also fly backwards, as if glimpsing into the past.  The way a hummingbird eats is also amazing - with her long, thin beak and tongue, she passes through the tough and often bitter outer layers of flowers to reach the sweet, juicy nectar within. 

Hummingbirds teach us that no matter how busy we are, no matter how fast we are going, we must always make time to stop and search for the sweetness of life.  We must look past the bitterness and the tough times, and instead focus on the light-hearted joy that comes our way.  Like the bird that hovers over the beautiful flowers in the garden, don't we all want to hover over the beautiful moments in our lives?  Don't we all wish we could fly backwards into our past, savoring each delicate, magical moment of it?  Hummingbirds flap their wings in a slight figure 8 motion, the symbol of infinity.  Infinite life, infinite love, infinite beauty, infinite joy, infinite patience, infinite wisdom.

The further into the world of PD that Keith and I go, the more the hummingbird speaks to me.  This tiny bird teaches me so many invaluable lessons.  Like the bird that seem to die each night and resurrect and renew her life each glorious morning, I too, renew myself each day, in faith, in prayer, in love, in commitment to my husband.  Like the bird that stops mid flight to hover over the beautiful flower, drinking in that which sustains it, I too, have learned to stop in my busiest moments and hover near the beauty of my own life, drinking in the sweet sights and sounds of my family.  Like the bird that moves her wings in a motion of infinity, I have found infinite joy and love, and that I must pray each day for the infinite wisdom and patience I know I will fall short of. 

If PD is a flower, then I am the hummingbird, constantly hovering over it, reaching deep, past all that is bitter and rough, to the sweet nectar that nourishes life, that which sustains me.  With infinite love I move my wings; I move myself  up, down, left, right, in any way that is required of me to reach that nectar.  And sometimes I even fly backwards, looking to the flowers of yesterday, savoring only how pleasant each flower was.  How wonderful to be a tiny little hummingbird amid the dark, scary thorns of PD. 

Summer Story by Mary Oliver

When the hummingbird
sinks its face
into the trumpet vine,
into the funnels

of the blossoms
and the tongue
leaps out
and throbs,



 I am scorched
to realize once again
how many small, available things
are in this world


that aren’t
pieces of gold
or power-------
that nobody owns


or could but even
for a hillside of money-----
that just float
in the world,


or drift over the fields,
or into the gardens,
and into the tents of the vines,
and now here I am

spending my time,
as the saying goes,
watching until the watching turns into feeling,
so that I feel I am myself

a small bird with a terrible hunger,
with a thin beak probing and dipping
and a heart that races so fast

it is only a heart beat ahead of breaking------
and I am the hunger and the assuagement,
and also I am the leaves and the blossoms,
and, like them, I am full of delight, and shaking.





9 comments:

Congestion Nasal said...

The hummingbird represents regeneration and resurrection.

Sinus Infections said...

I'd like seeing hummingbirds, some of their character reflects me.

sinus infections said...

Your knowledge is very much appreciated and needed.

Sinus Relief said...

When I see good quality content, I like to share it with others.

Sinus Symptoms said...

Had I devoted myself to birds, their life and plumage, I might have produced something worth doing.

stem cell parkinson s treatment said...

What a post! I am a great fan of your writing. Keep posting.

Latoya Ritter said...



THE TRUE SOLUTION TO MARRIAGE , CHEATING , DIVORCE , AND RELATIONSHIP ISSUES
I will try to make this short as possible. In July I found out that my husband of almost 17yrs was having an affair and he actually brought this woman to my home. I was devestated to say the least. I met my husband 18yrs ago and he swept me off my feet and we got married 11months after we met. We had a great marriage (I thought) we have two beautiful boys. In 2015 we moved 800 miles away to a very small town due to his job. I quit my high paying job at a company that I had worked at for 14yrs to move away from my family and job/career to be a stay at home mom. Then here we are 2 and 1/2 years later going through a divorce and no job. I felt schizophrenic going through all of these emotions from acceptance, to denial, to how can this be and back again. I tried all the best effort i could to get him back from this woman whom he was havingan affiar with, and make him see how much i love to be with him. but he insisted he never wanted to be with me anymore. Its was almost 4 months since he started living with this other woman, then i decided to use Dr joy spells for help because i had no other choice and i felt everything was lost to me. I had the most wonderful and happy marriage after using his spell in just 24 hours, and that was how my marital life was fixed back to its right track. If you are one of the people who is in a loveless and unhappy marriage that cannot be salvaged (and you can only determine that by being very honest with yourself), believe me…there IS light at the end of this tunnel. Here is his
Email: joylovespell@gmail.com
Whats,App. +2347059014517

caroilne said...


THE TRUE SOLUTION TO MARRIAGE , CHEATING , DIVORCE , AND RELATIONSHIP ISSUES I’m so excited! Thanks to Dr.lucky for bringing back my Ex-husband and brought great joy to me today! luckysolutiontempl@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online,if you need your Ex lover back fast!and his result is 100% guarantee.. After 12 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr lucky can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.lucky real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: luckysolutiontemple@gmail.com, you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348070980389

Victoria said...


I was diagnosed of Parkinson disease 4 years ago, I started Azilect,

then Mirapex as the disease progressed. In January last year, I

started on PARKINSON DISEASE HERBAL PROTOCOL from Ultimate Herbal clinic.

Few months into the treatment, I made a significant recovery.

Almost all my symptoms are gone, great improvement with my movement

and balance. Its been a year, life has been so good! Reach them at

www.ultimateherbalclinic.com