Monday, July 21, 2008

Morrie Explains it All

I am reading Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom for the third time is as many months. This time I have gone through it with a highlighter and marked the passages and quotes I like best. I highly suggest you all read this book!

Lately, more so than before, I have been getting a lot of comments about WHY I am choosing to do certain things, like foster Pierre or have another baby. Certain individuals look at me cross-eyed as if I'm some kind of freak. They ask me sarcastically if I realize my husband has PD. They make rude comments and offer strange suggestions. But mostly they are baffled. So I have chosen to post my favorite quotes from Tuesdays with Morrie in explanation -

"You have to find what's good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now." Thank you, Morrie, for pointing that out. So many people forget how blessed we all are. We have a wonderful life, so why wallow in sorrow and pity? Keith and I have so very many things to be thankful for. We truly do have a wonderful life.

"You know what really gives you satisfaction? . . . . . Offering others what you have to give. . . . . Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." Well said. That should explain plenty.

"Do the kinds of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won't be dissatisfied, you won't be envious, you won't be longing for somebody else's things. On the contrary, you'll be overwhelmed with what comes back." So true! Keith and I feel we have so much and we have so much to offer, to our own kids and those around us. Sometimes we feel we could and should do more, sometimes we feel overwhelmed with what we already do. But we are reaping in the rewards in many different ways.

So I hope that clears things up a bit . . . .

No comments: